The COVID-19 pandemic has posed significant challenges to the Australian healthcare system and our society. GPs by necessity have been tasked with reviewing and managing large numbers of patients with COVID-19. This article summarises important information GPs need to effectively assess and manage patients with COVID-19, and provides online ‘living’ resources to help them keep up to date.
- GPs are often the first point of call for patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the community and are well placed to co-ordinate their recovery after infection.
- COVID pneumonia is the major cause of mortality in patients with acute infection.
- The severity of acute COVID-19 determines overall management.
- Disease-modifying treatments are available for certain populations to reduce the risk of severe disease.
- Evolving virus variants will affect the effectiveness of treatments.